Thursday, September 26, 2013

Meet Our 25 Farms team! (part 1)



Greetings from your 25 Farms dietitian! I am so excited to be a part of the 25 Farms family and to travel this journey of wellness and sustainability with you. 

Let me take a moment to introduce myself. My name is Leah, and I am a native Texan, born and raised in Wichita Falls. Nutrition became an interest for me at an early age, and I knew I wanted to spend my career helping people improve their nutrition. I attended college at Abilene Christian University, where I studied Food, Nutrition and Dietetics. After graduating in 2003, I headed west to Denver to complete a dietetic internship with Tri-County Health Department. There I got my first true taste of what poor nutrition looks like. Upon completion of my internship, I went to work in a diabetes education center. My last 9 years have been spent practicing as a dietitian in the Denver area, specializing in diabetes and weight management. I currently work for the Department of Veterans Affairs MOVE program, a weight management program for veterans.

Why am I passionate about 25 Farms? Because I am passionate about vegetables and want to see Americans increase our consumption of vegetables. In 2009, only 26.5% of adults in the US ate 3 or more servings of vegetables per day. Why are vegetables so important? According to the CDC, they can reduce the risk of many leading causes of death and play an important role in weight management. With heart disease as the leading cause of death and adult obesity rates currently at 37.5% (1 out of every 3 adults) in the US, we need some serious changes, and increased vegetable consumption is one much needed change.

How does 25 Farms play a role in increasing vegetable consumption? We provide fresh, great-tasting produce delivered to your door for the same price (in many cases, even less) than you would pay to drive to the grocery store and purchase lesser-quality products. In addition, you are supporting a local farmer and utilizing a sustainable model of farming.

I am excited about this adventure and look forward to our journey together! Please do not hesitate to contact me with questions or ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment